Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Birthday, "Auntie Mame!"

Stamp credit: Paperbag Studios
Don't you agree? 

This is a card I created for my daughter's extraordinary Great Aunt Dee. That's her in the hat a few years ago with my mom, her big sis, next to her.  I placed a photocopy of the photo under vellum that is scattered with heart flowers. The Emerson quote (The invariable mark of wisdom is to see the miraculous in the common.) on the vertical is a transparency.
The calligraphy at the top is a beautiful rubber stamp from Quietfire Design. Suzanne makes it easy to create with beautiful things. I thought turkey red stitching would go well with this "period" piece so zig-zagged a casual border around the edge. I was really free-wheeling this whole project - just playing and having fun. 
I highlighted Dee by cutting out a circle and rubbing red oil pastel around the rim on the underside. 
I am not going to say how long ago this photo was taken, but these shoes might provide a hint!
I stamped this quotation on the vellum and used pinking shears to cut it out. Then I coloured staples with a red Sharpie and used them to affix it to a popped up white panel on the inside of the card. And that's a wrap!

6 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

What a fabulous idea! I really like that you can see the whole photo under the vellum, but have a focus on your Great Aunt. I'm sure she loved the card!

Yogi said...

very nice. I like the translucent effect. Have a great day

Lindsay Weirich said...

love the spotlighting
and the elegant vellum!

Quietfire said...

This is so beautiful Charmaine. Love the thought and detail you put into it! And thank you for using the rubber stamp!

Robyn said...

Beautiful, heartfelt and elegant.
love the stitching

Art By Wanda said...

A wonderful card!!!