Tuesday, December 20, 2011

O Christmas Trees!


Here is my last card for the monthly Christmas Card Challenge over in the forum at Waltzingmouse Stamps. For December we were tasked with creating a one layer card. 

While my card is one layer, I tried to make it interesting. I created an oval by selectively embossing the Holly Ribbon embossing folder in my Cuttlebug. To do this, I place a wooden frame with an oval cut out over my embossing folder and fed it through the machine. This created pressure on all areas around the oval cut out, but left the center oval smooth and flat.

Then I stamped and masked the small and large trees from Nutcracker Sweet and chalked a gradient background. I coloured the trees with Copics. I buffed a silver green metallic wax over the embossing to highlight it a bit, then added a red bow to complement the scheme. Even though it is one layer, I think it has a lot of dimension to it. The teal blue green and lime are a little out there for Christmas colours so I am also entering this in the weekly Christmas Card Challenge that asked for non-traditional colours, and the Seriously Creative Challenges for the simple theme of Christmas.


6 comments:

Deborah Frings said...

I've commented on the WM forum - I think this is absolutely lovely. I think your trio of trees are so beautiful and the embossed card frames them perfectly!

Unknown said...

Beautiful card. Thanks for sharing at CCC this week.

Margo said...

Fabulous embossing details!
Thanks for joining the "non traditional colour challenge" at Christmas Card Challenges!
Margo (DT)

Roxy said...

Holy cow, Charmaine, this card is awesome!!! Hard to believe it's one layer, incredible! I love your technique for selectively embossing, and I also love your vibrant trees, simply stunning! Thanks for joining us at Creative Accents Challenges, hugs, Roxy.

Sarah said...

You definitely did make this card interesting! Specially for only one layer! I LOVE the image and the colouring, it's soooo gorgeous! Thanks for playing along with us at Creative Accents!

Anonymous said...

Very cool, at first I thought you had used foil as it looks so brilliant! Nice job, thanx for joining us at Creative Accents Challenges.