Sunday, October 16, 2016

Starting Christmas Cards

I should have been making cards all year long to have ready for Christmas, but I didn't. So now it's time to get cracking. Thankfully I have a MISTI stamp positioner to make it go a little quicker. I chose the month of April in Sylvia's Christmas card challenge on her blog: green and foliage.

I made six of these cards this afternoon. I tried many different products to make the snow effect. The card above has Liquid Applique that I sprinkled with glitter and heated to puff up. Others got Enamel Accents, dries white glue with glitter, Stickles, etc. I snapped a photo while they were drying. Jury is still out on which is my fave.
I tried a few different inks for the woodgrain background. The front right card was made with a woodgrain embossing folder, the rest were scored and inked.

Stamps from Gina K Designs (Festive Foliage and Noel). I will enter this in the Christmas Card Challenges #45.

Sunday, October 2, 2016

More Carved Wood Panelling

Earlier today I posted a card with a new-to-me technique of creating carved wood panelling as a background. It was actually the second card I made. Here is the first. 

All the stamps are Gina K Designs stamps. The frame label is from a retired GKD set, but the roses and sentiment are from Old Country Roses, a current offering. If it looks familiar, it's because it was designed by Claire Brennan, formerly of Waltzingmouse Stamps, who is now designing for Gina K. Claire is designing new sets and also re-issuing some of her old WMS stamps under the new label. So if you missed out before, this is good news!

Kat at Kat Scrappiness says we can enter her contest more than once so I am throwing this one in the ring, too. 

Carved Wood and Espresso

Yesterday was World Card Making Day and I was mostly battling a head cold but I did find some energy to try a new technique from Gina K at StampTV. She has a great video showing how to make a carved wood type of panelling for a background.

I made this card:
Stamps from Gina K Designs.

I am entering this card in the Kat's Scrappiness Blog contest that has no restrictions. There are prizes. Gina K is one of the lovely sponsors. You should enter, too!

Friday, August 26, 2016

Birthday Buddies

Here's a birthday card for my hubby. I used the Lawn Fawn Party Animals set I purchased on vacation in California this spring.

Dies- Grassy hills: Lawn Fawn; Marshmallow Clouds: Memory Box
So cute! I am entering this card over at

Seize the Birthday! They have an optional "toppings" to use tags and while I did not do so with this card, I hope to come back and add another later. Their design team has some great samples that have inspired me!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

A Vintage 50th Birthday Card and Gift

Quite some time ago I purchased the 12X12 pad of graphic45's Botanical Tea Collection and I am going to be sad when it is all gone. I needed a special birthday card for a colleague who likes vintage things, and adores gardening, so this was my go to stack.

I dusted off my Tim Holtz caged bird die and used some Creative Chemistry techniques to give the bird's home a patina. The flowers were made using the Spellbinders Bitty blossoms dies. I had to make a box to go with.
Sentiment: Waltzingmouse Stamps
I added Rock Candy Dry Glitter to the dollar store flower. I used Distress Crackle Paint and inks and stains on the papier mache box. I made some wrinkled rayon ribbon with Distress Stains. The label frame was silver, but I antiqued it to match the really old key using alcohol inks. I forgot to take a photo of the inside, but I lined the box with the same background paper as on the card. Here's the set:

I am entering this in the Seize the Birthday challenge.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Summer of Creativity Week 7

Alcohol Inks were the challenge for this week of Tim Holtz's recap of Creative Chemistry 102. It has been fun to revisit some techniques.

My favourite Alcohol Ink technique is to use it on clear acetate, and then apply clear double-sided tape and foil the back. If you click on the photo below you might be able to see how the acetate glows like jewels. I used silver foil.

The Alcohol Inks I used were Cranberry, Wild Plum and Denim. I cut out a Sizzix scalloped tag die cut from acetate and used Tim Holtz's On the Edge Brackets die to create the top and bottom borders from acetate. Steel rule dies like these are best for cutting acetate. I embossed the top border with a Sizzix checkerboard embossing folder.
The card background was created by second-generation stamping the Direction of Your Dreams (Time2Fly/Uptown) in Iris StazOn over the white card front, then sponging Wilted Violet Distress Ink through the Bubble stencil.

The dragonfly is from A Stamp In the Hand and I stamped it on the front of the tag with StazOn Cotton White. A brad and some gem stones finished it off. This will make a nice graduation card for someone.

Summer of Creativity Week 6

Where does time go? I am posting my efforts for week 6 of the Tim Holtz Summer of Creativity over at

For week 6 we were to use two stencil techniques. I used three four Tim Holtz stencils for my project and started with a white Strathmore 110 pound Mixed Media base.

I used stains to wash the background, then pounced Broken China Distress Paint about. I sponged Wilted Violet Distress Ink through the Doily (left) and Gothic (right) stencils and then inked the burlap stencil and used it as a monoprint device here and there. Then I sponged Distress Paint in Tarnished Brass through a Bubble stencil (not shown).

I used Distress Embossing Ink to stamp the Lost Coast angel and heat embossed in black. I did the same with the column that I had hand-carved many years ago. I added bits of music (Waltzingmouse Stamps) in black Archival Ink here and there.

Finally I added some Nuvo Crystal Drops (White Blizzard) to the wings to add some iridescence which the camera refuses to pick up!